Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National Player of the Week awards for the period ending April 19. Arkansas sophomore outfielder Andrew Benintendi was named National Hitter of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Benintendi hit .444 in five games last week, leading Arkansas to a 4-1 mark as it handed No. 1 Texas A&M its first series loss of the year. He reached base in each of his final nine plate appearances against the Aggies to finish the week with a .444 batting average and a .583 on-base percentage. Benintendi also scored 10 runs in the five games.
Currently the nation's leader in home runs, Benintendi took to the long ball in midweek action, recording his 14th homer of the year last Wednesday against Stephen F. Austin to take over sole possession of the home run race. He has hit seven of his 14 home runs in the last 13 games. After a perfect 7-for-7 week in stolen bases, including four against Texas A&M, Benintendi now ranks third in the SEC with 19 stolen bases on the year in just 22 attempts.
Monday, April 20, 2015
Player of the Week: Andrew Benintendi, Arkansas
• Hit .444 with a home run, 10 runs scored and three RBI this week, which included a series win at No. 1 Texas A&M.
• Has reached base in nine consecutive at-bats.
• Currently leads the country with 14 home runs on the year. • Had a .583 on-base percentage and a .667 slugging percentage in five games.
• Went 7-for-7 in stolen-base attempts and walked seven times.
• Had three multi-hit games on the week, including a three-hit performance in a comeback win over the Aggies.
• Has scored 10 runs over the last four games.
• Has hit safely in 22 of the last 24 games.
• Leads the SEC in slugging percentage and total bases.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
For the third time this season, Lyon College pitcher Griffin Glaude has earned the American Midwest Conference Pitcher of the Week honor. After receiving the award on March 17 and 30, the senior righthander from Beebe, Arkansas, was honored on Monday when was cited by the league for this play in games between April 6-12.
Glaude was also named NAIA National Pitcher of the Week on March 31, for his play on the week of March 23-29.
Glaude had another strong effort on the mound in his only appearance this past week. He pitched his fourth complete game of the season and recorded his third shutout in a 2-0 win over Lindenwood University-Belleville on Friday. He struck out 11 batters (his second-highest single-game total in his career), walking just two, as he improved his record to 5-1. He also has one save to his credit this season.
His performance allowed him to lower his conference and team-best ERA to 0.38.
GAC BASEBALL CO-PITCHER OF THE WEEK – Collin Campbell, Harding, RHP, Jr., McCrory, Arkansas
Campbell pitched a four-hit complete game against Northwestern Oklahoma State and allowed only one unearned run. His 10 strikeouts established a career high and topped his previous high of seven. He registered at least one strikeout in six of the seven innings and struck out the side in the seventh to close out the game.
NOTABLE PLAYER OF THE WEEK NOMINEES
- Evan Comeau, Jr., SS, Arkansas-Monticello (Hit. 571 with a double, two runs scored and a stolen base over three games)
- Bryan Heward, Sr., OF, Arkansas Tech (Hit .563 with four home runs and seven RBI as ATU went 3-1, with a sweep of SWOSU)
- Carver Rademacher, Jr., 1B, Southern Arkansas (Drove in 10 runs while hitting .611 [11-for-18]; had four multi-hit games)
- Davis Richardson, Jr., C, Harding (Collected seven hits in 13 at bats; scored four times and drove in six)
- Jordan Taylor, So., DH/2B, Henderson State (Totaled eight hits, including three doubles in four starts, drove in five runs)
NOTABLE PITCHER OF THE WEEK NOMINEES
- Trent Armstrong, So., RHP, Arkansas Tech (Threw 129 pitches in a complete game win vs Southwestern Oklahoma State)
Central Arkansas junior right-hander Connor Gilmore has been named the Southland Conference Pitcher of the Week and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi senior left fielder Jordan Lee has been named the Southland hitter of the week, the league office announced Monday.
Gilmore threw his third consecutive complete game victory, holding the Colonels to four hits in nine innings pitched. Gilmore held batters to a .125 batting average without giving up a run or walking any batters. The junior improved to 5-2 with a 2.43 ERA on the year.